Shelter is one of the basic needs for humans. Unfortunately, not all households in the country have access to proper housing. To provide affordable housing for all, the government launched the Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana in June 2015. You can get information on the various benefits of the Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana below.
What is Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana?
Also known as PMAY, Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana is a scheme created by the Government of India with a primary objective of providing affordable housing for all citizens of the country. Eligible beneficiaries can avail the benefits of PMAY for purchasing new home/flat, house construction, or enhancement of house for addition of room, kitchen, and toilet.
Beneficiaries are divided into four categories—Economically Week Segment (EWS), Low Income Group (LIG), Middle Income Group (MIG)-I, and Middle Income Group (MIG)-II; eligibility and benefits of this scheme have been accordingly divided.
Income slab of households of different category are mentioned below:
- EWS: annual income up to ₹3,00,000
- LIG: annual income between ₹3,00,001 and ₹6,00,000
- MIG I: annual income between ₹6,00,000 and ₹12,00,000
- MIG II: annual income between ₹12,00,001 and ₹18,00,000
PMAY scheme is of two types — PMAY-Urban (U) for urban dwellers and PMAY-Gramin (G) for rural dwellers.
Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana Benefits
The prominent benefits of Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana are listed below:
- Through PMAY, the Central Government offers financial assistance of ₹1,20,000 to beneficiaries residing in plains and ₹1,30,000 for beneficiaries residing in hilly regions, difficult areas, and IAP districts, including North-Eastern states, Union Territories of Jammu & Kashmir, and Himalayan states.
- The beneficiary will also be offered employment under the Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Act (MGNREGA) for 90 days. This facilitates the beneficiary to earn approximately ₹18,000. They can avail another ₹12,000 for the construction of toilets in convergence with Swachh Bharat Mission-Gramin (SBM-G).
- A beneficiary who seeks a loan for building their pucca house can avail up to ₹70,000 at 3% lower interest rates. The maximum principal amount eligible for loan subsidy is ₹2,00,000.
- The minimum size of the house under the PMAY-G scheme is 25 sq. m, which includes a dedicated area for hygienic cooking.
- In convergence with the Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana, eligible beneficiaries can get one LPG connection per house as well.
- The payments for different benefits under this scheme are made directly to the beneficiary’s bank account or post office account that are linked to their Aadhar.
- Eligible beneficiaries may also be able to avail other benefits in convergence with different government programmes for electricity connection, piped drinking water, treatment of social and liquid waste, and clean & efficient cooking fuel, etc.
Housing Deprivation Parameters from the Socio-Economic and Caste Census (SECC) 2011 data are used to identify eligible beneficiaries for PMAY-G, who are further verified by the Gram Sabhas.
- Rehabilitation of all eligible slum dwellers with private developers’ participation. Eligible slum dwellers under the In-situ Slum Redevelopment (ISRR) vertical of PMAY-U are given assistance of ₹1,00,000 per household.
- Subsidiary of up to ₹1,50,000 for every EWS household under the Beneficiary-led Individual House Construction or Enhancement (BLC-N or BLC-E) vertical of PMAY-U.
- Under the Affordable Housing in Partnership (APP) vertical of PMAY-U, assistance of ₹1,50,000 per EWS eligible household is provided by the government of India.
- Affordable Rental Housing Complexes (ARHCs), a sub-scheme under PMAY-U provides decent rental housing at affordable rated to urban migrants or poor in the country. Poor or urban migrants living in the industrial sector and non-formal urban economy will benefit from this.
*Note: Family here means husband, wife, and unmarried-dependent kids.
How to Avail Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana?
The simplest way to apply for PMAY is to visit the official government website and fill in the form as directed. However, that may not be convenient for everyone; so, such individuals can visit the nearest Common Service Centres (CSC), get the application form for ₹25+GST, and submit the duly filled & signed form.
You can also talk to your bank or other reputable housing finance companies about taking a loan to build your house.
The Environmental Benefits of PMAY Construction Guidelines
The Technology Sub-Mission (TSM) under PMAY-U launched by the Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs (MoHUA) facilitates adoption of green, innovative, and modern technologies and building materials for quick, quality construction of houses. The preparation and adoption of layout designs and building plans suitable for various geo-climatic zones is also facilitated by TSM. Additionally, TSM also assists in deployment of disaster resistant and environment-friendly technologies in cities/states. Thus, green buildings are constructed with TSM guidelines using as much natural resources as possible.
With the help of schemes like PMAY, everyone can have a strong roof over their head and stay protected from harsh climate.
Whether you are constructing a new home or enhancing your house, using quality materials such as home construction cement from a good cement manufacturer like JK Cement can be beneficial. Additionally, make sure to utilise TSM under PMAY to build a sustainable home and avail the benefits of affordable housing.
Who is eligible to benefit from the PMAY scheme?
Households that have an annual income of up to ₹12,00,000 and those that don’t have a pucca house may be eligible to apply for the PMAY scheme.
What are the key benefits of PMAY for urban and rural citizens?
Here is a list of key benefits of PMAY:
- Financial assistance for building an all-weather pucca house; the aid depends on the category of household and other factors.
- Option to avail loan at slightly lower interest rates for willing beneficiaries.
- Employment opportunities for eligible beneficiaries under MGNREGA
What is the process to apply for PMAY, and where can one apply?
Interested individuals who are eligible to avail the benefits of PMAY can apply for the scheme online on the official website or go to their nearby Common Service Centre (CSC) to apply.
Can existing homeowners avail of the PMAY benefits for home improvement or construction?
If the house is depreciating, has kutcha walls and roof, does not have enough rooms or basic amenities like a toilet and kitchen, then eligible home dwellers can apply for PMAY and avail relevant benefits.